Electronic Prescription Service
What is the Electronic Prescription Service?
The Electronic Prescription Service (EPS) is an NHS service which allows you to collect your medicines directly from your nominated pharmacy or dispensing contractor without the need for a paper prescription.
What does this mean for you?X
- This paper-free prescription service means that you do not have to come into the surgery to collect your prescription. Instead, your GP will send it electronically to the place you choose, saving you time.
- You will have more choice about where to get your medicines from. They can be collected from a pharmacy near to where you live, work or shop.
Is this service right for you?
Yes, if you have a stable condition and:
- you don’t want to go to your GP practice to collect your repeat prescription each time.
- you collect your medicines from the same place most of the time or use a prescription collection service .
It may not be if you:
- don’t get prescriptions very often.
- pick up your medicines from different places.
How can you use EPS?
Choose a place for your GP practice to electronically send your prescription to. This is called nomination. You can choose:
- a pharmacy.
- a dispensing appliance contractor (if you use one).
Can I change my nomination or cancel it and get a paper prescription?
Yes you can. If you don’t want your prescription to be sent electronically tell your GP. If you want to change or cancel your nomination speak to any pharmacist or dispensing appliance contractor that offers EPS, or your GP practice. Tell them before your next prescription is due or your prescription may be sent to the wrong place.
Is EPS reliable, secure and confidential?
Yes. Your electronic prescription will be seen by the same people in GP practices, pharmacies and NHS prescription payment and fraud agencies that see your paper prescription now. Sometimes dispensers may see that you have nominated another dispenser. For example, if you forget who you have nominated and ask them to check or, if you have nominated more than one dispenser. Dispensers will also see all the items on your reorder slip if you are on repeat prescriptions.
For more information visit www.nhs.uk/electronic-prescriptions, your pharmacy or GP practice.